crucifix

Dublin Core

Title

crucifix

Description

Wood inlay crucifix, with ivory corpus and "INRI" sign; glass-fronted reliquary above corpus, with relic labeled in Latin as from the cross of Christ. The crucifix was brought by Father Nerinckx from Europe. He wrote: “The beautiful crucifix from the chisel of Laurent of Mechlin will be quite an ornament for the altar.” The works of Francis Laurent (1762-1821) are now in Mechlin Museum. The base was restored by Sr. Jeanne Dueber, SL, in 1975. In early Catholic Kentucky, Father Nerinckx placed this crucifix on the altar he had made for Holy Mary's Church (#0067). Metal plate on back of the base gives details about Laurent, the object, and the 1975 restoration.

Creator

Francis Laurent

Format

42” x 15"

Type

Religious Objects

Identifier

0004

Files

0004(1).jpg
0004(2).JPG

Citation

Francis Laurent, “crucifix,” Loretto Heritage Center Artifacts, accessed June 21, 2024, https://lorettoheritagecenter.omeka.net/items/show/5.